Our Resale Stores' primary mission is to financially support the programs of Community Action House (CAH). The proceeds generated by the resale of your donations allow CAH staff to spend more time doing what they do best: feeding the hungry, clothing the needy, preventing foreclosure and evictions, providing transitional housing, and offering educational classes to help build prosperity.
Your donations of merchandise are vital to Community Action House and our continued success. To further help us, please read the lists below for items we cannot accept, and for condition requirements for those items we do accept. Donating unsellable items increases our trash removal costs and takes away from our funds for our housing and food programs. Please help us reduce these costs. As always, your continued support – along with cooporation with these guidelines – will enable Community Action House to be even more effective in the future.
- All clothing, shoes, purses, belts, bed/bath/table linens and electronics will be accepted for either sale in our stores, given away to those in need, or recycled.
- All upholstered furniture and rugs must be free of obvious stains, holes, tears, threadbare areas, and/or odors. All other furniture must be in working order, no missing or broken parts, or significant damage (we cannot recycle these).
- Large appliances such as refrigerators, stoves, washing machines, and dryers must be less than 10 years old and in good working condition.
- Electronics must be working with no missing parts. Computers more than 5 years old cannot be resold. Older computers and non-working electronics can be recycled.
- Clothing, Shoes, and Accessories
- Home Furnishings
- Household Items
- Books, Records, CDs, DVDs
- Bikes and Bike Parts
- Electronics and Stereo Equipment
- Appliances (Large and Small)
- Sporting Goods
- Computers (less than 5 years old)
Although Community Action House appreciates all donations, the following items may not be accepted due to liability issues or due to high disposal costs:
- Due to regulations we can no longer accept TVs and CRT Monitors
- Drop-side Cribs
- Car Seats
- Combustible Materials
- Open Containers/Packages
- Mattresses more than 5 years old
- Tires and Car Parts
Drop it Off
Merchandise donations are gratefully accepted at the General Store.
General Store Drop-off Hours:
- Monday-Friday 9:00am-6:00pm
- Saturday 10:00am-4:00pm
The new Donation Dock at the General Store gives both our donors and customers a nicer area to leave their donations and to pick up their larger purchases.
We offer free pickup service for acceptable donations of items that are too large and/or too heavy to fit in your car. Call (616) 594-5451 between 9:00am and 6:00pm, Monday - Friday, or email to schedule a pick up.
Tax Deductible Value
All donations of useable items to Community Action House are tax deductible. Please contact your tax advisor for information pertaining to your personal tax situation.